Parishioner Set Free from Terrorizing Nightmares

AMIA Communications

“It’s been nine days,” Ruth Fraser whispered to her pastor, the Rev. John Cox of Jericho Road Church in Parksville and Port Alberni, British Columbia. “I still dream but they are good dreams, and even my arthritis is better!”

The elderly parishioner had suffered terrible nightmares since childhood, but one Wednesday evening in the sleepy hollow of Qualicum Beach, an encounter with healing prayer changed her nightly trajectory.

Here, Ruth shares her story.

“Seven of us met on Wednesday evening at a friend’s home. During our time discussing a passage from the Bible and its relevance today, I made mention of terrorizing nightmares whenever I sleep. These began at three years of age, so you can guess how very many years they have persisted.

“Toward the end of the evening my friends suggested that we pray about the dilemma. I readily agreed. They gently placed hands on me and I felt as if I was in a safe and trusting environment. The leader declared that I would be set free and that the little child inside me would be secure in God’s love and care.

“I recalled a disturbing incident when I was three years old relating to the anger of my addicted parents. The leader encouraged me to invite Jesus into my bedroom to be present for the terrified little girl. Jesus came into that bedroom and ministered gently and stayed beside my small bed. I experienced peace as I placed my head on the pillow.

“The prayer continued to another occasion when I was nine years old, this time relating to violent anger with my father that was extremely painful and traumatic. Again Jesus entered the room and came to my side to protect me and comfort me. I cried and was shaking as I sat in that chair; I hadn’t expected this at all. The leader encouraged me to forgive my parents for the hurt they caused me—as an act of the will—which I did. Blessing was prayed over that little girl, all trauma was commanded to leave, and peace with Jesus was released into her spirit.

“I drove home that Wednesday evening in the warmth and wonder of the experience. When I slept on Wednesday night I had another frightening dream. I wakened early in terror and as usual went to the window. I’d learned to live with this reality so I raised my arms and hands in adoration and praise. As I’d been encouraged the previous evening, I deliberately invited Jesus into the terror of that Thursday morning and gradually it subsided.

“On Friday morning I wakened after a pleasant dream! I was not afraid. I lay wide awake in my bed fully aware of being at peace. This was absolutely wondrous! Saturday was another morning of freedom. No terror—instead, outpouring gratitude, worship and thanksgiving. Every day since then…. freedom from nightmares for the first time in 70 years!”